Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fordyce's Sermons to Young Women, Sermon II, Page 28

"We [men] wish for a place in your hearts: why you not wish for one in our's?  But how much are you deceived, my fair friends, if you dream of taking that fort by storm!  When you show a solicitude to please by every decent, gentle, unaffected attraction we are soothed we are subdued we yield ourselves your willing captives.  But if at any time by a forward appearance you betray a confidence in your charms, and by throwing them out upon us all at once you seem resolved as it were to force our admiration..."

5 comments:

Fabulastic said...

I did a post specially for you. Hope you enjoy it!

Be free to criticize my poor non-native English.

Alexa Adams said...

Great advice! I love how hypocrisy is valued over natural behavior.

dorothywillis said...

I wonder -- what was his personal and social life like? It would be like having Mr. Collins in person!

Bernal Diaz del Castillo said...

Actually, Alexa, Fordyce is counseling honesty in romance. Re-read him. He's saying that women ought not use artifice, wile, false charm. He's telling us to despise hypocrisy, that is. Which is, I think, pretty good romantic advice. But I'm just a guy. A stooge like Mr. Collins, no Darcy I guess..

tesapurplepoet said...

Although a Mr. Darcy is easier to look at, I'm not altogether certain, aside from his riches, that there would be much else left of his personality to endear him to a female once the initial physical attractions fade. These so very rich men tend to be a little shallow when looking past the facades of reputation and money.